”Since I was a kid I have dreamed to fly. I was closing my eyes and felt like floating over mountains, valleys, discovering new worlds. The deep abyss and the infinite height have always fascinated me. Finally, I got to fly in space. Accomplished dreams are like a circle of light on the life tree, a beneficial irradiation. In the outer space, your familiar universe is no longer house, street, neighbours, but the home planet itself. The Earth, besides its physical dimension, which you may directly appreciate at its true value and grandeur, also has a moral dimension. From a cosmic flight you return more confident with yourself, more mature, closer to people and nature, with a more comprehensive vision on terrestrial phenomena and activities. Although you are not alone in the spacecraft, the loneliness up there is a strong feeling. You feel suddenly torn apart from your natural habitat, where you were born and raised.” (Dumitru-Dorin Prunariu)
- Born in the city of Brașov, Romania, on 27 September 1952.
- Graduated Liceul de Cultură Generală nr. 4 High School (currently the “Grigore Moisil” National College)
- In 1976 he graduated the Faculty of Aerospace Engineering of the University Politehnica of Bucharest
- 1977-1978 joined Romanian Air Force and was selected for the astronauts training program.
- 1981, after years of training in the Stellar City, Lt. maj. Dumitru-Dorin Prunariu is selected as one of two members of the crew of the Soyuz 40 mission; the flight lasts for 8 days, and Dumitru-Dorin Prunariu is responsible for a series of scientific experiments; the spacecraft lands successfully in Kazakhstan.
- Romania was the 9th country in the world with an astronaut.
- After the mission, Dumitru Prunariu returned to Romanian Air Force, and in the same time served as lecturer at the Faculty of Aerospace Engineering in Bucharest.
- In 1990 he was promoted in rank of colonel, on a one and a half years mission at the Ministry of Transport to serve as Deputy Minister of Transports and Head of Civil Aviation Department.
- In 1990, together with other experts in astronautics, he presented the project of the Romanian Space Agency to the Romanian Government.
- In 1991 he graduated the course for superior experts in the International Aviation Management Training Institute
- In 1999 he published his PhD thesis on Space Flight Dynamics.
- Between 1990-2000 he participated at the reform process of the Romanian education system.
- In 2004 he was Romania’s ambassador in the Russian Federation.
- He is the author of many publications and books on astronautics.
- He is an active member of the international scientific community.
EASN Conference Salerno 5-8 Sep 2023
The 13th Conference of the European Aeronautical Sciences Network will take place in Salerno, Italy, on 5-8 September 2023. The annual EASN conference grew into the most important such aerospace event in Europe. The presented papers have a number of publishing...
AIAS Job Openings
Civil Aviation Safety Investigation and Analysis Authority (SIAA in Romanian AIAS) publishes job openings which could interest our members. Further information on the SIAA site (in Romanian only):...
Air Transport Engineering (ATE)
Air Transport Engineering (ATE) taught entirely in English is a modern multidisciplinary master program, founded in 2013, aligned to the Next Generation of Aviation Professionals (NGAP) strategy of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). It is the only...
Another fallen star of the Romanian aviation! The aviation community is in tears. Dan Ștefănescu was a top class pilot engineer, who fascinated us with his evolutions. There is so much left to learn from him. At the Aerobatic Yakers Aerodrome, pilots came to achieve...
Air Navigation Convention – The 13th Edition
Aviation Reborn: New opportunities, new challenges Going forward together with the same wish that has been passed down from generation to generation, that of bringing together aviation students, graduates, professors, and experts, through this passion that unites us,...
Air Navigation – Upcoming Book
This book represents the professional statement of my 30+ year career. Working with my aerospace engineering students, pilot students, and air traffic controller students over many generations has been challenging in the best possible way. Debates, ideas and questions...
Air Navigation Convention 2021 Debrief
In today's world, air travel is all about efficiency, speed, interconnectedness, and universal accessibility. Aviation has certainly been at the forefront of innovation, becoming one of the world's safest and most trustworthy means of transportation nowadays. However,...
Joburi în dezvoltare ATM la JLG
Courtesy of our Alumnus Andrei Florea, graduate of Air Navigation 2019, we inform you about very attractive job openings in a prestigious Romanian company, JLG Consulting. This company exports IT solutions and software to important aviation companies, being also an...
Air Navigation Convention 2021
Air Navigation Convention – 12th Edition Aviation Emerging Challenges: Innovation and Coping with Change As we progress through the ages, we start to realize just how much the world of Aerospace has gone forward since its inception, at the beginning of the 20th...
EASN Conference 2021
EASN is the largest and important scientific network in the aerospace field. The EASN Conference 2021 will take place on 1-4 September 2021 in Salerno, Italy. The prestigious conference creates the opportunity of networking with the most important Eurpean aerospace...